Pumpkin Flan also known as Flan de Calabaza is a delicious treat. It comes from Cuba. Cuban Cuisine comes from the combination, across generations of Spanish, African and Cribbean cuisines. All those styles combined equal a truly unique and flavorful blend. I have always loved Flan but found that I love Pumpkin Flan even better.
Recipe for Pumpkin Flan or Flan de Calabaza
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup half & half
1 cup whipping cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. In a pot bring the sugar and water to a boil – sugar & water, stirring constantly.
2. Once the sugar water is boiling allow it to boil, without stirring, until you have a golden brown syrup
3. Place a quiche dish in the oven to warm it up
4. When it is warm, pour syrup into quiche dish - be sure coat evenly
5. Beat remaining ingredients (EXCEPT the creams) until well blended.
6. When ingredients are well blended in THEN beat in creams
7. Pour the mixture over the syrup in quiche dish
8. Place dish in shallow roasting pan with very hot water in it, make sure water doesn’t overflow
9. Place roasting pan with water and flan in oven
10. Bake 60 – 75 minutes or untile knife inserted center comes out clean
11. Remove dish from water; cool 15 minutes then chill in fridge 3 hours
1. Loosen sides of flan from dish and then place a serving tray on top of flan.
2. CAREFULLY turn upside down, holding the serving tray in place until fully rotated.
3. Once it is sitting upside down, gently pull dish off and serve
Pumpkin Flan takes a little skill to make, but it is so worth it, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love it!